Thursday, August 29, 2013

A man's Tale

The year was 1995, I was on a quest to conquer the wild Rocky Mountain wilderness. I had taken nothing but my backpack, which contained only three items; Items which every man needs to survive. First there was my best friend, Paul, the bowie knife. The knife is such a versatile tool, used for making my lean-too, skinning an animal, using with my flint to make a roaring fire, and pretty much anything else. Next is my flint. It makes fires, that's about it. It is essential because as long as you have fire you will survive, that is a fact of the outdoors. Lastly, there was my toilet paper.

I had been helicopter dropped in with nothing but the clothes on my back and my three item backpack. I began to hike, I hiked for three days without stop and had gone at least 100 miles. As fatigue began to set in I decided to set up camp. I began to cut down trees with Paul and building my camp, it took me about an hour or two. I started my fire and went to sleep. No more than half an hour later I wake up to a load growling roar. I look up and see an 8 foot tall blood thirsty brown bear... What a treat, you don't get to see one in the wild every day you know. But I jumped up, fully prepared to fight for my land, I had properly marked my camp site and had to teach this bear a lesson for it's utter disregard for the rules of the wild.

As the bear began to charge at me I quickly grabbed Paul and threw him deep into the forest, this would be a fair fight, his paws and my fists. We exchanged blows in a furious battle. As the bear swung his mighty claws I quickly dodged and delivered a devastating round house kick to his jaw. The pain became too much for him to bare and he fled... Proudly I stood in victory, but conflicted was my heart. My fighting got out of hand and I feared that my kick may have broken his jaw. Knowing that he would soon perish if I didn't rescue him I followed closely after him. He eventually passed out from exhaustion and gave me the opportunity to save him. So I picked him up and threw him over my shoulder and hiked into the nearest town, which was only 25 miles away (a little mountain town with no more than 150 residents).

Luckily there was a town vet to nurse the bear back to health... After I went back to camp I took a nice long nap and ended my quest with success. A few months later the vet called to tell me that the bear made a full recover and was set back out into the wild, to roam free and live a full and happy life... I will miss that bear and hope to find him again someday, he gave me one memory that I will not soon forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment